I’ve waited for September, 2015 for a long time. It’s the month I knew I didn’t have to be home for the kids anymore. My oldest takes care of herself and my other two children will be away at college, so no more school buses or lunches or having to drive them to work after school. It’s my time and I’m hitting the road. (But wow, I miss doing that stuff for my kids already!)
And, of course, traveling doesn’t come without obstacles and fears. If anyone tells you that traveling doesn’t come without those things, they are lying to you. Once I started feeling apprehensive and scared and stressed, even though this was supposed to be the most exciting times for me, I went into a travel writer’s group that I belong to on Facebook and was immediately told, “I feel the same way!” Other writers sent me their blog posts on fear, while others assured me that as experienced as they may be, they feel the same way before every trip. Phew! I’m normal (well, my family might debate that, but in the travel writing world I’m normal).
What am I afraid of?!!!
1. Money: who isn’t? Will we have enough? Will there be any surprises? I’m a full-time freelance writer, who makes a decent living, but lately clients are taking their time paying me and I need that money for traveling (and paying bills). Without it, my dreams won’t come true. But I live with this fear that the checks won’t come in time and I won’t be able to go to the next place on my list.
2. My health: I just turned 50. I’m in pretty good shape for travel except for my right knee. I had surgery on it in December and am working on making it stronger, but there are some days it hurts like hell and it’s weak and walking is an issue. I get nervous about that on the trip.
3. Flying: I’m taking four flights in September in two weeks. I’ve taken SIX flights my ENTIRE 50 YEARS ON THIS PLANET. ‘Nuff said. LOL
4. Loving it too much: Is there such a thing?! I’ve waited to travel regularly for years. Now that it’s here I’m so nervous that I’ll love it so much — I will — that I won’t want to stay put (I won’t). But I’ll need to stop and regroup and then keep going and I can already feel the ache of wanting my RV and being on the road and wanting to book that next trip. We’ve taken a few already and I’m always thinking, “what’s next.” I never want the “what’s next?” to stop.
Well, those are a few of my fears, but I’m ridiculously excited as well. I guess it is all part of the experience, right?
Okay, so how do I get over all of these:
1. Money: I work hard at making sure I’ve gotten every aspect of my trip as inexpensively as possible. I look for coupons, Groupon codes, specials, etc. I even have gone as far as putting fast food coupons aside just to save a few pennies. I’m working as hard as I can and am in discussion with my editors to get paid a little faster. Not much else I can do. I’ve talked about my debt in this blog before. I’m simply working as hard as I can.
2. My health: I’m bringing my knee brace and I’m talking to my doctor before I go. As long as he says I’m okay to go, I’m going.
3. Flying: Breathe! I’m looking for some relaxation techniques and I’m not one for anxiety meds, but I’m looking for other coping techniques, including squeezing my honey’s hand so hard it hurts him. LOL
4. Being afraid of loving it too much: There could be so many worse things to be afraid of. I’ll just keep planning as long as I can keep doing this.
5. Bedbugs: Any suggestions on this one?
What are your traveling fears? Let me know. I don’t want to add to mine but I want to know that I’m not alone!